Sunday, March 2, 2014

You gotta practice what you preach...

Can't get this out of my head. I teach about time periods and situations that play a part as to why a character is doing what he or she is doing or why they're in the situation that they're in. And I try to encourage sympathy and understanding. I ask that you don't judge these people but try to understand them. But then I walk out into the street and forget this. I'm ashamed. I've been walking the streets of NYC and riding the subway for a long time. And I know by now how to handle people asking for money and not to give money because you never know what they're going to do with it. But yesterday a disabled vet got on the train asking for money with a pretty good and compelling story. And I didn't do anything. I watched him hobble off of the train, and I felt sorry for him. I'm ashamed. That could have been me or anybody that I know. What difference does it make? He needed the money. You gotta practice what you preach...

No comments:

Post a Comment