Saturday, March 8, 2014

Actors Bring A Whole New Perspective.






I had the honor of seeing WAITING FOR GODOT by Samuel Beckett with Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Billy Crudup, and Shuler Hensley in NYC this week, and it was truly amazing. I have read this play and studied it for quite some time, and I have seen another production of it in the past. I love the play and Beckett and how he captures the human condition. This play speaks to me. But I was really impressed by this production. And I don't know if it's because they did such a good job with it or my knowledge and experience has given me new insight, but this production gave me a new understanding of the material.

I've been working in and around the theatre for a long time now, and I know the process is about collaboration and that it's the actors who truly give life and action to the words written. But this production provided me, if I didn't already know it, with the perspective of how important good actors are to a production.

Here are a few lines from the play that I've always appreciated, but I have new emotions about them now as a result of the life that the actors gave to the text.

POZZO: Have you not done tormenting me with your accursed time! It's abominable! When! When! One day, is that not enough for you, one day he went dumb, one day I went blind, one day we'll go deaf, one day we were born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that not enough for you? They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more. On!

.....................

VLADIMIR: Was I sleeping, while the others suffered? Am I sleeping now? To-morrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of to-day? That with Estragon my friend, at this place, until the fall of night, I waited for Godot? That Pozzo passed, with his carrier, and that he spoke to us? Probably. But in all that what truth will there be? He'll know nothing. He'll tell me about the blows he received and I'll give him a carrot. Astride of a grave and a difficult birth. Down in the hole, lingeringly, the grave-digger puts on the forceps. We have time to grow old. The air is full of our cries. But habit is a great deadener. At me too someone is looking, of me too someone is saying, He is sleeping, he knows nothing, let him sleep on. I can't go on! What have I said?

BOY: Mister...Mister Albert...
VLADIMIR: Off we go again. Do you not recognize me?
BOY: No Sir.
VLADIMIR: It wasn't you came yesterday.
BOY: No Sir.
VLADIMIR: This is your first time.
BOY: Yes Sir.
VLADIMIR: You have a message from Mr. Godot.
BOY: Yes Sir.
VLADIMIR: He won't come this evening.
BOY: No Sir.
VLADIMIR: But he'll come to-morrow.
BOY: Yes Sir.
VLADIMIR: Without fail.
BOY: Yes Sir.
VLADIMIR: Did you meet anyone?
BOY: No Sir.
VLADIMIR: Two other...men?
BOY: I didn't see anyone, Sir.
VLADIMIR: What does he do, Mr. Godot? Do you hear me?
BOY: Yes Sir.
VLADIMIR: Well?
BOY: He does nothing, Sir.
VLADIMIR: How is your brother?
BOY: He's sick, Sir.
VLADIMIR: Perhaps it was he came yesterday.
BOY: I don't know, Sir.
VLADIMIR: Has he a beard, Mr. Godot?
BOY: Yes Sir.
VLADIMIR: Fair or...or black?
BOY: I think it's white, Sir.
VLADIMIR: Christ have mercy on us!
BOY: What am I to tell Mr. Godot, Sir?

VLADIMIR: Tell him...tell him you saw me and that...that you saw me. You're sure you saw me, you won't come and tell me to-morrow that you never saw me!


No comments:

Post a Comment